Tuesday, March 24, 2015

St. Patrick's Day

This post is a recount of some of our St. Patrick's Day activities. Holidays are a fabulous time in preschool! We get to be goofy and have a lot of fun. We get to dress up...and we always have the "I'm a teacher" excuse. I have used this excuse many times when justifying why I am buying something. (See: outfit below)

We started our St. Patrick's Day celebrating off by doing a craft I stumbled upon on Pinterest. The children made a rainbow paper chain that led to a pot of gold. The pin for the craft can be found here. How happy does this picture look with all the colors?


Our next activity to prepare for St. Patrick's Day was our door decorations. We talked about what we would do with a pot of gold. Each kiddo cut out a yellow circle and drew what they would do with a pot of gold. They wanted to include a rainbow of hearts...which they all helped to cut. 


The day before St. Patrick's Day we prepared for our school-wide parade. We made hats and wands for the children to march around with. We had to improvise a little with the hats since all we had were styrofoam bowls that couldn't be painted. The children cut out three hearts to make each wand. We secured them to green straws and added white and green curling ribbon. 

 

In the afternoon before the children went home, I read The Night Before St. Patrick's Day by Natasha Wing. The children loved that the leprechaun played tricks in the book. 

Finally St. Patrick's Day arrived! The leprechaun played a trick on us...


GREEN MILK for morning snack! The children loved it. 

They also loved my festive outfit for the day...

How could I pass up the opportunity to buy something with Mickey on it?! See what I mean about using the "I'm a teacher" excuse. But who am I kidding?

-Miss Kapua 



1 comment: