Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Book Review: Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan



I have finished reading this book months ago, but have been struggling on how to review it. In turn pushing all my book reviews back. Boo! Like many (if not ALL) teachers out there, I don't have a lot of free time. So what I choose to do in my free time is very important and I try to do things that make me happy and or fulfilled. Reading this book was neither of those things. For me, this was one of those books that I finished reading just for the sake of finishing it.

Commencement is about four girls who meet during their freshman year of year college at a Women's College. The book included all of the things you would expect for book about a group of girls at a Women's College...a little drinking, rape, protests, lesbians, and friendships. The only things in the book I could relate to were the friendships and parties. Everything else was not in my college experience. What I can appreciate about this book is the way the friendships are portrayed. It was very realistic and I found myself taking sides during arguments.

Verdict: Not my cup of tea and I can't think of anyone I would recommend this book too. It was a bit of a slow read for me and ended in a very weird way.

No comments:

Post a Comment