Monday, February 9, 2015

Book Review: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan


The second book I read for the 2015 reading challenge was Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. It is a fiction novel following New Yorker Rachel and her crazy rich boyfriend, Nick. Nick takes Rachel to his home town in Singapore for a friend’s wedding where Rachel learns just how crazy rich her boyfriend’s family is. This novel is the epitome of the “mo’ money, mo’ problems” mantra as it paints a picture of how the high-society socialites live.

I was definitely wowed by this debut novel from Kevin Kwan. I couldn’t put this book down. It was very funny and I loved how he made footnotes to explain certain words, places, people, or anything that needed a bit more of an explanation. I found that the footnotes added more humor to the story. Some of the footnotes were rather long and I just skimmed those, but for the most part they were helpful. I was entertained throughout the entire story, but I was really emotionally drawn in towards the end.


I would absolutely recommend this book to someone looking for a funny read. I loved reading this book at the beach and on the bus ride to and from work. I am looking forward to seeing the movie adaptation of this book as well as Kevin Kwan’s next novel. 

-Miss Kapua 

No comments:

Post a Comment